No. A regular commitment and enthusiasm is all that’s required.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I have to audition?
- Do I need to be able to read music?
- Will I have to sing any solos?
- What happens if I can’t come to a rehearsal?
- I’m quite nervous about coming along by myself.
- I’ve only ever sung classical music – I’m not sure if I’ve got the right kind of voice.
- What sort of performances will the choir be doing?
- Do you offer a refund if I miss rehearsals?
- There isn’t a Popchoir in my area what should I do?
- Are you looking for Choir Directors?
No, you will be taught your part during rehearsals, with further opportunity for practise at home by downloading a copy of the songs we are working on from the members section of the website, with your part sung for you to copy.
No. As a general rule, we sing together as a choir. Popchoir arrangements are specially written so that we all get to sing the song. Very occasionally, a song may require some solo singing, but then only people who want to sing solo need put themselves forward.
We’ll miss you. But you will find details of what we got up to on the Member's Homepage or you can phone for a chat to get any help you need to make sure you’re up to speed for the next rehearsal. And remember, the downloads are there to help you practise at home, so please make full use of them.
Don’t be. We understand very well that sometimes it’s hard to take the first step towards trying something new and that not everyone is brimming with confidence, but we’re all extremely friendly and you’re not going to be put on the spot, asked a complicated question or suddenly made to give a small recital, and by the end of your first rehearsal you’ll know that next time you’ll be coming along to be with friends. Or of course, you could talk to your existing friends/work colleagues/family members and persuade them to join with you… they probably like singing too.
Every voice is welcome, and you may be surprised at how versatile your voice can be! We will help to place you in the choir to get the best out of your singing and so that you feel comfortable.
Quite apart from concerts for families and friends, Popchoir will be performing at various events and venues throughout the year. Of course, choir members who can facilitate opportunities will go to the top of the class!
Sorry, no. We offer you the opportunity to have a trial rehearsal with us to see if Popchoir is for you, so when you sign up you are commiting yourself to the choir for the term ahead. Choirs are a team effort and so it is good to feel that there is consistency , which is why making this commitment is important. Lots of people unavoidably have to miss the occasional rehearsal due, for example, to work commitments, holiday or illness, and we offer you all the necessary practice help to be able to catch up with anything you have missed. You are also welcome to attend a rehearsal in another area if you wish. If you’re flagging a bit, or finding anything a bit tricky, far better to ring and have a chat and we’ll get you back on the right track.
Please register with us and tell us the area you are interested in. We will let you know as soon as we start Popchoir near to you.
Yes! Popchoir is expanding rapidly and we are currently recruiting musicians and singers with suitable skills from all over the country to train with us and run our choirs. If you are interested in this then please get in touch and we’ll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.
Already a member?Member login
Join PopchoirFind a popchoir near you Book a free taster session Join now
0845 5190 890
020 8659 5464 EMAIL
- “I left the first night on an incredible high believing at last that I could sing. 30 years of disbelief shattered in 1.5 hours.”
- “OMG! The flashmob was the best fun EVER! I've been on a high ever since!”
- “Thank you for my small Wednesday haven. It makes such a difference to my spirits.”
- “Thank you for making my Wednesday evenings so wonderful”
- “I'm clinging to Popchoir like a drowning man clings to wreckage. You have literally saved my soul”
- “Joining Popchoir is the best thing I've ever done. I never imagined I'd have the confidence to do all the performances that we have, but nothing will stop me now! Thank you, thank you.”
- “Thank you, thank you, thank you, for giving us Popchoir. It has totally changed my life”
- “Thank you for making Monday the best day of the week”
- “You're a phenomenon - you have the ability to make people feel they can achieve ANYTHING! ”
- “I feel that I'm part of something wonderful. I LOVE Popchoir. Thank you so much”
- “I have finally found something for me, and it's brilliant. Thank you so much”